Drone 2.x UI freeze/crashes tab

We recently upgraded to the 2.x version of Drone with the new UI and have gotten a number of reports of browser tabs crashing when streaming logs for running builds. This only happens when rendering the logs for actively running builds, not for ones already completed (these have no issues).

I was able to come up with a minimal repro which provides some evidence that this happens only when rendering log-heavy builds. A fix would be appreciated since it’s been quite frustrating for our developers.

kind: pipeline
type: docker
name: ui-crash
steps:
  - name: crash
    image: ubuntu:bionic
    commands:
      - for f in $(seq 0 10); do cat /dev/urandom | base64 | head -c 4000; sleep 1; done;
1 Like

I also ran into this issue:

We’re also running into this issue, with multiple users.

Most of our devs are using firefox. I’m not able to debug it because I can’t even get the dev tools to open when it happens, or refresh the page, it’s just locked solid.

I think it’s also worst for long running builds, for some reason. Had a dev do something funky that caused a step to run for an hour, which consistently hangs the page for several minutes.

Pretty replicable though, the steps in this post should work.

Can’t capture a performance recording in firefox, it crashes.

I’ve got a bug open with Harness support for this, opened August 29th.

Apparently they’ve been working on it since September 28th, I’ll add another post if it gets sorted.